Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm Only a Guest*


Last night I went with Ryan to go see Putting it Together at the Cornerstone Theatre in Canmore. (It was a really good show; I left feeling like I need more Sondheim in my life). SSo it is also dinner theatre, but because of the set up, it's family-style. So we're sitting at a table with 6 other people; the 4 at the other end are all together so we're sitting across from a couple of women.

Now it's a bit clear from the outset that they're not interested in making small talk with us, which is fine. But due to the close proximity of our seating, it was kinda impossible to NOT pay attention to them a little bit. They seemed to be a bit awkward with eachother, like they were on a 2nd or 3rd date. (Driving to Canmore seems like a bit much for a 1st date - hence the 2nd or 3rd). The point - we were sitting close enough that we could get a sense of what their relationship might be, and you would think they would get the same idea about us...

So I go to use the restroom after dessert and before the show, and while I'm gone the server brought a carafe of coffee for the table. The ladies help themselves, offer some to Ryan and then ask him if his "guest" would like some coffee. His "guest"? Who says that? We aren't bf/gf obvs ;) but I think our conversation during dinner made it pretty clear that we are friends, and very good friends at that...

It was so weird. Who says that? And then they left at intermission without paying for their drinks (granted the tab was only about $7.50 - yes I looked - but still...) Weird.


*Bonus if you know the movie the title of the post is from

2 comments:

Ryan said...

This may be the first time I've been referred to by name in your blog. Perhaps even at all. I'm so excited!

Barb on January 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM said...

Hahaha - I'm glad you're excited!! And I was more than happy to be your "guest"...